Monday, July 28, 2008

First things first....hiking Kalalau!

Rather than spend the first couple of days on the island unpacking and getting settled, we headed to the beach and went hiking instead. While Cole learned a few tricks from the pros at skatecamp, the rest of us joined our friends on a muddy, but beautiful hike up the Kalalau trail. This is the same trail that many of you, who have visited Kauai, have hiked. Maggie and I did the entire 22 miles there and back a year and a half ago. This time we just hiked to the first beach and valley, known as Hanakapiai.

Maggie, I found this question from a tourist and the answer from a so-called expert on a Kauai blog that I thought was funny after our experience on the trail.

Q: Do most fit hikers planning to do the full 22 mile out and back hike take two days, camping one night at Kalalau Beach ?
A: No, I think that is unrealistic. Only extremely fit people can go in and out in 2 days and still enjoy themselves (but they won’t enjoy Kalalau).


...Well I proved him wrong, because, A- I am NOT an extremely fit person, and B- I DID enjoy Kalalau even though we did it in a short amount of time.


It rained off and on while we were hiking in so there was a little mud and the trail was pretty slippery, especially for Jason in his "slippers" otherwise known as flip flops.

Luke Schone with a little mud


Kenya, Luke, and Sadie


Aidan excited to play in the waves at Hanakapiai Beach



Hanakapiai Beach and Valley

Aidan taking care of Sadie


River Crossing

The Cave

1 comment:

Brooke said...

cool Murrays from Bennett