Thursday, May 14, 2009

Just a Random Post


Aloha Fridays
Often on Friday afternoons we pack up the boogie boards and head out to Major's Bay on the west side. It's got great waves, spectacular sunsets, and very few people. Then we head over to Shenanigan's for dinner which has great pizza and other good grinds. I guess you could call it family date night. We have good times at Major's!




Letting Sadie be the Princess
Sadie does well in our family of boys. She is usually ready and eager to follow her brothers in their adventures...but not always. On Saturday, Jason loaded the truck with all of the bikes and family members...minus one fat, pregnant Mamma and set off for a ride in the mountains to what Aidan calls the "promised land." Aidan named this place after the promised land in the Book of Mormon (I think because of the effort it takes to get there.) It's a great place, but the trail is a beast.
I enjoyed a good 45 minutes of peace and quiet, but wasn't surprised when the truck arrived back home to unload a cute purple bike and a sweet little princess. Sadie tried. She even made it about 1/2 a mile up the trail, but then she was done. She was ready to be a princess. So we spent the afternoon doing nails, dressing up, and dancing to princess music. It's fun to have a princess in the family.


HOOPS
The boys LOVED playing basketball...and we were ALL sad to see the season end.
It was actually the highlight of my week to go watch the boys play. Cole played awesome and learned how to share the ball with his teammates, while still making lots of baskets each game. Aidan surprised us. It was his first experience playing basketball on a team. He is a great defensive player. He was constantly stealing the ball from the other team and was especially entertaining to watch. Some of his fake out maneuvers had the whole crowd in laughter. I asked him who taught him his moves. To my surprise he said, "Dad did."
One of our home teachers had told me that we were depriving our kids...because we don't have cable TV so they have few opportunities to watch professional sports. To that I say, "Who needs to watch the pros throw tantrums when your own dad can teach you some highly entertaining moves?"
Hiking and Strawberry Guava
Biking is now uncomfortable, boogie boarding hurts, running is too jarring, but walking is just right. So for exercise I've been walking and hiking. I've been able to go on some great hikes and some, for my first time. Jason and I hiked the sleeping giant trail for the first time a couple of weeks ago....the best thing about it was the delicious strawberry guava that we ate all along the way. Most of the trail is lined with Strawberry Guava trees so we had our fill and brought lots home for the kids to eat as well.



Field Trips
The kids have had lots of field trips lately. Sadie has two this week. I like tagging along on field trips and fortunately, Cole isn't embarrassed of me yet...so I'll keep tagging along while I still can. I went with him on his reef walk and ate lunch with him too.



Scooping
The kids can never get enough of this activity...which is great because it's free, it's nature, and it's exploring and learning.


Aidan Harvested His Radishes


















3 comments:

Jami said...

Oh, the envy i am feeling right now. That ocean, the sun....hmmmmm. I need a vacation!

Murray Ohana said...

Jami,
Come visit us! By the way, I want an invite to your blog...I haven't been able to see it.
Love, Rachel

Becca and Kent said...

Fun to see what you've been up to lately! I think I'm already bigger than you are, though! You're so cute with your little baby bump!