The first day of May. May Day or Lei Day is an annual celebration of Hawaiian culture. For some reason Kalaheo School celebrated May Day on the 22nd this year. Kalaheo School has two Kumus (teachers of Hawaiian culture). One for the younger grades and one for the older grades. Throughout the year the students are taught Hawaiian culture, history, song, and dance by Kumu. My boys LOVE Kumu. I have watched Kumu teach and I love him too. He is a lot of fun and has a great rapore with the kids. Later in the year he teaches each grade a song and dance to perform for May Day on the school's big grassy field and everyone is invited to come and watch. Each Hawaiian island is represented by a Royal Hawaiian Court made up of students who qualify based on good behavior and then by lottery. The Royal Court also perform a special dance at the end of the program. May Day is an event we look forward to all year.
This year Aidan and his classmates each made their own "hawaiian tops" out of kukui nuts. They used these as props for their dance titled "Hu," the Hawaiian word for top (the toy that you spin). Aidan's "Hu" stunk. Aidan told us they all did. The "Hu" somehow ended up coming along with us on our drive up to the north shore right after the big May Day program. The smell made me a little sick and I was tempted to get rid of it, but knew I couldn't. We rolled down the windows and tried to deal with the unpleasantness the best we could.
Cole also made a prop this year. His was a gourd that he had to clean out, sand, and paint. The 3rd graders danced with their gourds and blew into them a couple times during their song.
The highlight of the performance for me was the very last number. All grades K-5 sang and did sign language to the song "I Have A Dream," which was the theme this year. As I watched all the kids sing and sign to that song I got choked up and teary eyed...very touching.
Another hightlight was hearing Cole's name announced as the winner of the Program Cover Design. I didn't have a program so I hadn't seen his artwork. Cole didn't know that he had won until minutes before the program so we were surprised, of course. Jason and I didn't even know he had submitted any artwork. After Cole was called up front to be recognized I had a friend give me her program to keep. Way to go COLE! He also got $10 for his contribution to May Day.
1 comment:
Fun stuff! You're such a good mom to let Aidan keep his "hu" for that long drive!
I found out that plumeria trees can grow here in Texas. I think I'm going to have to plant one. They smell SO good. Hibiscus grow here too. Fun!
Post a Comment