It was February 14, 1993 and it was love at first sight. I was sitting in a pew at church during sacrament meeting. Sitting towards the back, next to my friend, Josh. We were in a student ward. It was a few minutes after the had meeting started. I looked over and saw a VERY good-looking guy poke his head through the slightly opened back doors....looking for a place to sneak in and sit. The second I saw him I remembered him as one of the guys I had just met and talked to in the Hub a few days before. (Sadly the Hub, well known for it's fabulous breakfast fare, has been replaced by the food court and I hate that we can't go back there to relive some of our favorable memories at Utah State.) On with the story. Jason's friend knew the girl I was sitting with and we talked briefly. I laugh about my first impression of Jason in the hub because I thought he either had to be or at one time must have been a football player. He just seemed to have that football player build....I laugh now because he is so not a football player. I've never seen Jason play football ever. He doesn't even watch the sport. Jason was quiet, seemed a little shy, but cute, and we did talk a little.
So this was the same guy. Jason. I was so surprised when he walked in to the chapel and headed straight towards us. Then he sat right between Josh and me!!! Oooooooh baby, was I excited! Turns out he knew my friend, Josh, too. We whispered/talked throughout the meeting and that was it. I didn't know a lot about him except that I Was In Love. How can you be in love with someone you don't really know? Well, maybe I wasn't in love, but I was extremely attracted.
When I got home (I was only 19 and STILL living at home) from church I did something I had never done, ever. I told my mom about this guy I met. To this day I still don't know why I told my mom about him...because I never told my mom much about anything. I think my mom was really surprised at how excited I was over Jason, and probably a little shocked that I was telling her such juicy details about my life. After all, I had only talked to this guy for an hour tops and I was dating other guys and one in particular my mom really liked. (He was the one who would take me to the Symphony on dates.) My mom still vividly remembers that day too, maybe because it was the first time during my teenage years (I was still a teenager) that I ever really confided in her.
Technically it wasn't first sight because I had seen Jason once before (the Hub). And technically I don't know if it was love. Like I said before, Can you really love someone you have only known for an hour? But I do know this: I had never been so attracted and so excited about anyone like that before and never will be again. I also believe that Jason and I were meant to meet on that Valentine's Day 17 years ago so that we could create the family we have today.
Jason is still habitually 3-5 minutes late to church most weeks. (but I am too, so that's okay)
Jason wasn't in my student ward when we met...he was a member of the other student ward that met in the same building as my ward.
He eventually switched to my student ward. This would no longer be allowed.
Jason still desires to ward hop...he asks me to go to the Spanish Branch with him every week. They meet in our building. I always tell him, "No." Because they speak so fast I can't comprehend a word.
Today was awesome...it began with romance and ended with romance. What more could you ask for on the most romantic day of the year? I love you, Jason, 100 times more than I did on Valentine's Day 17 short years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment