One of the last times we were able to see Grandpa-
enjoying Laura's homemade ice cream
I have so much more to remember about him then they do, before the dementia set in. I remember a wonderful and loving Grandpa. A special memory for me is the time I went along for the ride with him on a trip to Bear Lake...just the two of us. All along the way he told me about his childhood in Drummond, Montana. The day I was baptized Grandpa treated the whole family to dinner at any restaurant of my choice...I chose the Bluebird. Grandpa encouraged me to learn the articles of faith and even paid me one dollar for each one that I memorized. When I was sixteen, the car I was driving leaked oil on Grandpa's driveway. Grandpa called me as soon as he discovered it and asked me to come over and clean it up. I'll never forget how bad I felt about disappointing him. A few years later he gave me my patriarchal blessing. A few years after that he met my future husband. Geneology was a big part of Grandpa's life. You can imagine his surprise when he learned that Jason didn't know his Grandpa and Grandma Murray's first names. (He does know them now) While we were in Logan last year Jason's uncle, Floyd, told of the wonderful influence Grandpa had on the lives of the people in the Logan East Stake as he shared stories of his experiences while serving with Grandpa.
Visits to the cemetaries, cowboy boots, the blue Aggie cowboy hat, toothpicks, eating out on Monday nights with cousins, the El Camino, a clean carport, square dancing and the brown sofa in Grandpa's den are some other things that come to mind when I think of Grandpa. I feel blessed to be Ted Karren's granddaughter and appreciate the positive influence he had on my life. I have missed him and will continue to.
7 comments:
Rachel,
I've been thinking about Grandpa too. I remember as a teenager waking up in tears because I had dreamed that he had passed. I loved him so much and still wanted him in my life. How blessed I have been to have been able to share so many more years with him. Now I can remember him well and whole and be happy knowing that he is with Grandma and they can both appreciate, respect and love each other as they did for so many years.
I adored him as a child. He was always happy to see us when we'd walk over to his house or drop by the bulk plant. He appreciated our dress-ups when we'd come up to show off what we had found in the chest downstairs. He'd give us underdogs on the tire swings and offer us treats. One of my favorite treats was going with him to the Frost top or whatever drive in happened to be leasing his property on 7th north.
I, too, remember going to parades and cemeteries with him and all the stories he shared about his grandmothers and grandfathers. He was in some of those parades and also some rodeos. I remember how proud I was to call out loudly "Hi Grandpa" as he rode out to where we sat in the stands and take off his cowboy hat in a gallant swoop.
I heard him speak from the pulpit at the tabernacle and remember feeling that he loved the Lord, had a strong testimony of the gospel and wanted to do what was right. He was often leaving to go serve others. I prayed for him as he and grandma served a mission and I was one of the first people he gave a patriarchal blessing.
Whenever I introduced myself to anyone, they would almost always ask if Ted was my Grandpa. I knew that he was loved and respected by all those people and feeling very proud of my heritage.
I enjoyed his puns although I often had to look for mother to explain them to me.
He had a contagious smile and I truly adored him.
Laura
Rachel and Laura,
I loved reading your thoughts and memories of Grandpa. Recent years of struggle for him can't diminish an amazing life and legacy. Thanks for writing that down to help me remember. Love you... grandson Ted
We enjoyed reading your thoughts about Grandpa.
I'm trying to learn how to reply to a blog posting.
Steve
It looks like I can do it.
Dear Rachel,
Your memories of Ted were so touching they brought tears to my eyes. Thanks so much for sharing them. Sometimes I am in awe of the depth of character of my own children, and this is one of those times.
Grandpa's funeral was very special to me. I feel that it almost made up for missing grandma's. We will try to share with you anything that was recorded of it. One thing that impressed me was how much Steve is like his father. They are both very social beings who enjoy people. They both have a strong work ethic and seldom waste any time. They both have a gift for finding and following through on good teaching moments. Your experience with him regarding the oil stains in the carport was one of many. All Ted's children recounted some of these. Many of these experiences were not known by other family members until they were told at the funeral.
We loved the pictures of the family that you took. Thanks for taking the time to share important events and small, but precious moments in your lives.
We love you and hope you are continuing to enjoy and find meaning in your life in Hawaii.
Love, Mom (and Dad)
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I didn't realize how hard losing a grandparent was until it happened to me. Hang in there.
Post a Comment