"ARE WE GOING TO KAUAI!?!" they all shouted in unison.
I looked at Jason and didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry. I am dying to go to Hawaii....we're all dying to go to Hawaii. But we just don't have the funds for it right now...especially since we are trying to save up for another project we may start soon. So, what I thought would be a fun surprise, was actually a bit of a let down. We aren't going to Hawaii. We are going to St. George...camping at Snow Canyon, actually. To play in the red sand, ride our mountain bikes on the Poppy trail, hike in slot canyons, and whatever other adventures come up. We've gone there for Spring Break before and had a blast and I'm sure, if we ultimately end up going again this Spring Break, we will have just as much fun.
But Kauai still sounds SO much better! And then today I was looking for a photo we'd taken of a flower that I want to frame and hang on my wall...and I started looking at some of our past pics (which the majority of are taken in Hawaii). I try to avoid doing this in the middle of winter because it's actually painful for me....and I get very homesick.
Well, I happened on to these photos of a very beautiful, romantic adventure that I went on with my hubby not so long ago. An adventure that I wanted to think about, to reminisce, and to dream about doing again.
In July of 2006 we hired the Miner girls (Mallory, Melissa, and Monique) in our ward to stay with our three little ones while Jason and I joined the Clyde's (Patrick and Megan) on a very memorable kayak trip along the rugged Na'Pali Coast. It wasn't a long trip, just two days and one night. Two days in one of the most scenic places I've ever been and one night on a secluded beach with my one and only. Jason had done this trip before with the Scouts and had come home raving about it and how this was a MUST DO. But this was my first time seeing the coast from the ocean And ooooooooh the beauty was breathtaking. Not only was I in awe, I enjoyed the peace and the calm after spending my days taking care of my busy two, four, and six year old. It was a well-deserved vacation and the one-on-one time with Jason was deeply appreciated.
Megan, a kayak tour guide, knew all there was to know and took us in all the caves and caverns along the coast. She knew which ones were safe to go into for exploring and which ones to avoid. The Clyde's, just barely marrieds, were fun and playful, knew how to give us space, and were the perfect companions for our trip.
We set out early in the morning from Ke'e Beach, where the pavement ends, on the North Shore and strapped everything in and on our kayaks. From there we paddled and explored a few miles until Kalalau Beach came into view. Minutes later we tipped our kayak as we tried unsuccessfully to make a dry landing. No worries though, our stuff dried out in no time and Megan assured me that most people landing at Kalalau do tip. It is, after all, a rough beach with BIG waves. After a little lunch and setting our stuff out to dry, we were off on a hike up to some pools and a water slide down some slippery mossy rocks. We had fun sliding, playing and napping in the sun. We got to shower in the community Kalalau waterfall upon returning and I can't give too many details on our evening, except to say, it was perfect.
The next morning we swam and played in the rough surf and soon after got our kayaks loaded once again. We were headed next door, to Honopu. Honopu is a sacred beach to the Hawaiians...which means ancient burial grounds. No boats are allowed on the beach which means you have to SWIM to the beach. Hawaiian law makes it a little complicated for four people on two boats. But Megan knew just how to do it and after visiting Honopu herself just recently, she knew this was an opportunity not to be passed up. While Jason stayed out on the water with our kayaks, Patrick, Megan and I swam to shore. Megan showed us all over the beach. Patrick had never been there either. Of course, there was not a sole to be found. Patrick and Megan played and I snapped a few pictures. Then Patrick swam to Jason to keep watch on the kayaks as Jason swam to shore. It really was a beautiful and special place. The only tracks in the sand were ours. There was a huge arch, with an awesome waterfall and pool underneath it and there was a huge sand hill to run down and play on. I've since hiked above the beach with my family and looked down on it...remembering the fun of that day.
From Honopu we paddled and paddled, past other beaches and more beautiful scenery, enjoying the turtles along the way. When we arrived at Polihale Beach we made a perfect landing. We were glad, but sad that it was time to go home. We will be back there again some day.














2 comments:
So dreamy! My #1 question is how did you do all of that & not destroy your camera with sand & water?
Julie, I have to say that we don't own the kind of cameras that you do...we just have the easy point and shoot kind. And to save the camera we put it inside of two zip lock bags.
Post a Comment