I had forgotten about the mop bucket until I ventured into the garage this morning to help Sadie in unsuccessfully starting the motor scooter. Sammy was with me and immediately saw the mop bucket which I had forgotten to hide from his sight. So there we were again...walking up and down our street pushing the mop bucket. This time Sam wanted to push it up all the neighbors sidewalks and up to their front doors. Some of the neighbors were out and laughed as we walked by. Once again, it felt like hours had gone by when I decided I just couldn't take the mop bucket walk anymore. As I carried Sam inside he screamed again, but I was able to quickly distract him with lunch. Later, after his nap, Sam got his boots on (by himself) and ran to me saying "side" (this means outside) and "coat." I think those are his two most favorite words. Since I was right in the middle of making rolls...I did something that I hate doing. I pulled out some left over Valentine's candy. Oh boy was Sam excited. I almost never give him candy, but I'll keep distracting him... at least until his brothers get home. Then they can all go on a mop bucket walk.


Saturday, March 5, 2011
The mop bucket, candy bribes and distractions
Yesterday, as we were cleaning and vacuuming out our van, Sammy discovered Jason's big yellow industrial sized mop bucket among the chaos of all his work "stuff." Once he started pushing that thing around, he was hooked. He pushed it up and down the driveway and many times tried to push it into the street, each time being stopped by one of his older siblings, Dad, or Mom. And every time we stopped him he would scream and cry. He would not let go of that yellow bucket for anything. I spent a LONG time walking with him up and down the sidewalk of our street.... with passersby all smiling at him as he pushed this most exciting toy....the mop bucket. After what seemed like hours and several more attempts into the street and subsequent tirades, I decided I'd had enough...time to go in. Sammy was already screaming and screamed even harder as I started carrying him inside. I took him to his room where he had a FULL-ON TANTRUM.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love this...it sounds EXACTLY like Nicholas-so determined and stubborn! He gets his mind set on something, and oh the tantrums if we suggest being done with that activity.
Gotta love it. :D
Post a Comment