Friday, January 7, 2011

A Bright Sunshiny Day!

Jason introduced the kids to ice skating on the canal a few months ago when the canal first froze over after bitter cold temps hit Cache Valley early. I've heard all about ice skating on North Logan's canal which was one of Jason's favorite childhood past times during long, cold winters. I never realized just how fun it could be until New Year's day when I finally decided to give it a try. It was so fun, in fact, that I talked Jason into going back a second time with me after the kids were done and after his foot had frozen from breaking through the ice into freezing cold water. Lyman Stevens was riding by on his horse when the two of us were skating together and told us to enjoy our afternoon date....and I SURE did!

New Year's day just happened to be a beautiful, bright, clear day. A great start to a new year!
You can't tell from the pictures, but the snow looked like feathers on top of the ice.

Sammy goes into a comatose-like state when cold, but Uncle Mike got him to smile


Smiling Sadie

Cole and Jonah



Sadie, Aidan, Mia, and Kaili


Love Kaili's smile

Kaili and Sam in the tobogan

It was too bright for Mia to open her eyes

Nathan opted for boots rather than ice skates

Jonah and Tristin

Aidan, Cole, Mia, Sadie, Nathan, Jonah, Tristin, Kaili and Sam in the sled

My four


A classic Aidan pose

My Beautiful Sam



5 comments:

Becca and Kent said...

I LOVE that last picture of Sam! He's so cute!
It looks quite cold there, but way fun too. I never have been ice skating on the canal either...maybe someday I'll get to give it a try.

Kirsten said...

How fun! I didn't realize there was water in the canal that would freeze. I guess I thought they emptied it before winter.

Emily said...

looks like so much fun... wish we would have been around to join in the fun! We will have to try canal skating sometime :) Sam looks so big and yes, he is beautiful, as are all your kids! hope you had a happy holiday!

Julie said...

That shot with all the kids & Sam is laying in the sled made me laugh out loud. He looks like the stereotypical bundled up winter kid that can't put his arms down. So funny! I've never tried this but want to so bad! I'm impressed that you had ice-skates for all the kids to wear.

Brooke said...

Rachel, this is AWESOME! I'm totally going to DI today to look for skates! Too bad the weather warmed up this weekend. But when it freezes over again like we know it will, can we come skate on your canal???