Friday, July 10, 2009

Kokee Cabin

The Klindt's invited us to stay with them in the Baldwin Cabin at Kokee Park. I didn't know what the cabin looked like, but when we pulled up all my kids yelled, "We know this place!" That's because Jason and I had fallen in love with this place a few years back while exploring in the park. We even took pictures of the kids with the beautiful hydrangeas surrounding the cabin.

The cabin is very old (I wish I had the history) and was built by the prominent Baldwin family. The cabin has a lot of character. Inside, much of the furniture looks original and there are some beautiful pieces. There is even an old piano and an amazing book collection that must be worth a lot. The walls are covered with old black and white photos of members of the Baldwin family. So, of course, I was very excited when I realized this was the cabin where we would be staying. The weather was fantastic and in the morning we woke to a nice, crisp mountain breeze blowing through the windows as we cuddled under our down comforters. It was a mountain cabin dream that was real.

After dropping our stuff off at the cabin and settling in a bit. We headed to the reservior for some trout fishing. We found a great spot to set up...right where the stream flowed in and the trout were so abundant that the kids had caught their limit in about 15-20 minutes. That was without using their poles, but just nets. I was really glad, because Jason hadn't arrived yet and I wasn't sure if I would be of much help to the kids since I don't fish.





Aidan and Jason relaxing at the cabin


My sweet Aidan brought me this bouquet of flowers after a bike ride with his Dad. The kids enjoyed the different flowers we found in the park where the weather is cooler.


Aidan with the beautiful hydrangea


Sadie thought every flower was beautiful


The grass had just been cut and the kids used the grass clippings to make barricades for their nerf gun wars.



We went to Sugi Grove to catch crayfish...Ronnystyle. Ronny has been catching crayfish there since she was a little girl. She uses hot dogs for the bait and a rock for the weight. She made a line for all the kids to use to catch the crayfish with.






While the kids played I spent some time under this plum tree napping, reading, and just relaxing...it was wonderful!


The boys had fun playing football




Before heading home we took a short hike to a lookout of the canyon. Then Sadie and I dropped the boys off for a super fun mountain bike ride. It was mostly downhill with lots of jumps and ditches to clear. They were SO excited when we picked them up at the bottom. Cole said, "That's my kind of bike ride...downhill and fast!"

No comments: