Sunday, July 12, 2009

Polihale...just in time

Nine months into pregnancy...like it or not, it's where I'm at. I have to say I have been pretty lazy the last several weeks, but I got up the nerve and energy to go camping for two nights at a remote beach. I went for two reasons. One, it was on the kid's list as a MUST DO this summer. And two, it is one of my favorite places...EVER. Family trips there are always memorable. I'm not sure when we, as a family will be driving that bumpy road to Polihale again with a baby on the way and future move not far away. I thought about that a lot our last morning when I woke up to some of the most beautiful scenery Kauai has to offer. Later I sat on the beach with tears streaming down my face wondering again why I am leaving this amazing place. I took a last swim in the warm beautiful blue water with the kids and REALLY tried to savor the experience. But soon Cole's rash from all of the sand rubbing against him in his swimsuit was causing too much discomfort. Tears of pain were flowing. Then I got stung by a bee. So after a couple of days of joy and relaxation we packed up and returned home. I posted some pictures, but the pictures can never quite capture the feeling of being there.


The Klindt's camped the first night with us. Jason helped all four boys together on one longboard catch waves. It looked like a tiring job, but the boys LOVED riding those waves together on one board.

Nainoa and Cole

Eating Lunch



I let Jason take some pictures of me and my pregnant belly. He even got some of me in just my swimsuit...but we'll spare you those images.

Cole snapped this picture of Jason and me. It's a great side shot of my pregnant belly. You can see I've grown EVERYWHERE else too.


Boogieboarding fun. The boys love to run and jump the waves and do flips and tricks in the air.







After playing in the blazing sun all day it's great to kick back and watch the heavens change to to so many different beautiful hues of gold, red, and purple. The temperature drops to PERFECT and it's so peaceful and relaxing you think you're in heaven. We took all of these pictures right from our camping spot and then cooked dinner over the fire, followed by smores, and an after dark crab hunt with headlights. With no signs of rain, we all slept out in the open under the stars to a gentle breeze and to the soothing sound of waves not far off.




3 comments:

Becca and Kent said...

Oh, Polihale beach is my favorite place on that island!! I was so sad when I brought Kent in December and it was closed because of the rain and muddy roads...

And your belly is so cute! It's fun to think about how close in age our little boys will be. I'm glad you posted those pictures because sometimes I forget how cute a pregnant woman looks when all I see is myself and my own big belly. :D

Anonymous said...

Wow, that does sound like heaven. I want to go there someday. You are amazing for being 9 months pregnant and sleeping on the beach.

Shauna Karren said...

I think our night on Polihale was the highlight of our trip 2 years ago!